The Official Saitek Forum  

Go Back   The Official Saitek Forum > Saitek News > Common Fixes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st December 2005, 20:21

Battlefield 2

Is there any sort of help in getting the Saitek to work for Battlefield 2? Went through in setting up everything (I thought) And the throttle control doesnt seem to work.. Used the outside application to create a profile for the game.. It also seems to lock up and kick me out to the desktop when hitting esc.. I can't find any sort of section in-game for enabling it so am I missing something? Any sort of premade profiles for it?
Old 2nd January 2006, 19:53

you have got to do it ingame go to controls then aricraft then click to set a button and move the joystick and it will work in game and get rid of the profile before it screws up you computer like mine which i had to reformat and lost everything
Old 1st February 2006, 17:58

One other thing you may want to look at, and it's been mentioned in a couple other threads here, is make sure that your joystick is set as the priority device. I had a similar problem where it was looking to my Logitech Steering Wheel as the first device, the joystick was in 2nd place, and therefore it's buttons weren't being detected in the game.
Old 18th February 2006, 02:47

I have a X45 but in BF2 when I set the controls the steer left/right are inversed so when I go left it steer right and etc. What could be the problem ?

Latest drivers from saitek, winxp sp2, bf2 latest patch. :S thx.
Im not using the sst at all.
Old 18th February 2006, 12:02
Administrator

Hi,

This is covered on the Game Specific support page on the main website, as well as in many places here on the forum. You need to reset all the controls to defaults and then reassign them again, using only the secondary column and only reassigning one direction of a particular axis - i.e. for Pitch Up and Pitch Down, only reassign Pitch Up and move the stick in the correct direction; Pitch Down will then be logically filled in with the correct axis by the game.
Saitek UK
Old 21st May 2006, 00:26

Provide a link

I've been scanning these pages since I bought this joystick this afternoon in Curry's.

The fact is that the joystick does not work properly in BF2. The instructions you provide here are scatterred. Set up a Sticky Thread for BF2 and provide instructions on how to get this stick to do what I paid 39.99 for.

I have reset the controls several times - in the secondary column - and still, when I get into the game the player does not move when you move the stick. He doesn't move the gun up and down and around. He moves left and right but say the gun is pointing at a tank's nose, I can't move it to it's rear. I can't move it above or below.

I can only move my player forward, backwards and sideways.

Which is rubbish, I am furious.

Where and how do I fix this problem? Please provide one link with appropriate instructions.

Thank you
Old 22nd May 2006, 10:05
Administrator

Hi,

You're getting angry at the wrong people - this is nothing to do with the stick, but rather to do with the control setup options in BF2. The makers of BF2 assumed, given that most people use keyboard and mouse for infantry control, that people wouldn't want to use a joystick to control the infantry. They've still allowed you to assign parts of your stick to controls for the movement but you'll note that the one thing they don't list as a control for reassignment is the aiming/looking. This is because in Infantry mode, the only control you can use to aim is the mouse.

Now you can program the hat switch on the stick to pretend to be a mouse, using our programming software if you like. Just open the profile editor, right click the POV option in the list of controls, click Mouse and then set the sensitivity slider to around 75%. Save the profile, call it Battelfield 2 and then load it into the stick by right clicking the stick icon next to your clock and then left clicking the Battelfield 2 option in the pop-up list. The POV will now control the aiming in the game.
Saitek UK
Old 22nd May 2006, 20:22

Clarity people

Yup, you're absolutely 100 per cent right and my sincere apologies for sounding off.... My whole weekend was ruined by this errant stroke EA has pulled.

Why can't they make these things clear!!!

Suggest you post a sticky and make the point.

Best

Choja
Old 24th May 2006, 02:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSupport
. . . open the profile editor, right click the POV option in the list of controls, click Mouse and then . . .
When I do that the Mouse entry in the menu is grayed/disabled. POV Hat1 = POV (menu shows POV (selected), Buttons, and (grayed out) Mouse, with 4-way and 8-way under those.
Old 24th May 2006, 09:05
Administrator

I suspect you have the X52 then, Missy11. You need to first unassign the mouse from the mini stick axes at the bottom of the profile editor.
Saitek UK
Old 25th May 2006, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSupport
I suspect you have the X52 then, Missy11. You need to first unassign the mouse from the mini stick axes at the bottom of the profile editor.
Right you are.

BF2 uses a control key down and the mouse wheel to "mouse view". What is a good way to do this?

Right now, I'm having to make a button on the throttle (the pov3, I think it is, since the others are spoken for and pov3 is all that's left) act as a control down in any way, and the pov1 hat as the mouse. I'd like it if all I have to do was use the pov1 hat as the mouse view, but that "control key needs to be down" spoils that idea, as best I can make it do so far. Anyone have a better "mouse view" technique? Mouse view is looking (panning) out of the cockpit to the left, right, back, up, etc.
Old 25th May 2006, 10:14
Administrator

No, that's the only way that you can do it, I'm afraid - assign a button on the controller to the Ctrl key and then move the hat that you've assigned to the mouse.

It may be a suggestion that you want to forward to EA for Battlefield 2142 (which is out later this year) though...

Oh and Choja, the same goes for you - if you want EA to include the ability to map the look functions for Infantry control in the next version of Battlefield then the only way to let them know is to contact them and tell them!

Incidentally, I had a look at Battlefield 2142 when I was at E3 and it was looking pretty nice!

Edit - Actually, I'm going to get an email typed up and sent to EA about this too. Do make sure you send something to them though - if more people mention this then it makes it more compelling for them to make the changes.
Saitek UK

Last edited by UKSupport : 25th May 2006 at 10:24.
Old 4th July 2006, 15:01

I am confused!!!!

I just bought a Saitek ST90 and i would like to use it as a mouse in battlefield 2. I looked under downloads and i could find one for the ST90 so i did the one at the top that read " sst_151205_32.exe" thinking it would work. I finished the dowloading process and it says" Please plug in a supportable Saitek Controller." I plugged in my ST90 and nothing happened. Can you please help me?
Old 4th July 2006, 15:53
Administrator

Hi,

You may have misread that as being for the ST290.

The ST90 is an entry-level stick and, as such, has no programming software support, I'm afraid. Sorry.
Saitek UK
Old 9th August 2006, 14:06

Battlefield 2 mouse look etc

There is a free software tool called "JoyToKey" that I have used with my X45 to provide mouselook via a hat key. A tutorial, links to the s/w, set up files etc is over at the Total Battlefield 2 forums here:

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72603

Note that when in mouselook view you cannot actually control a jet in the game (nice work EA/DICE). Hope this may help BF2 pilots!