The Official Saitek Forum  

Go Back   The Official Saitek Forum > Saitek News > Common Fixes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th August 2005, 09:37

Angry Cyborg EVO Force Problem with Rudder Calibration, always steers right!

Hello all,

after a while I decided to go for a Saitek gaming device again as I was slightly dissapointed in the past concerning driver support and functionality.

Somehow the same game starts now again.

I obtained an EVO Force stick and have severe problems to get it running properly.

Some threads led me already in the right direction but I want a clear statement to my issues.

The stick is installed with the drivers only and when I play Battlefield 2 I have a strange drifting behaviour. The drifting is occoured by the rudder conrtol from the third axis and it always "steers" my helicopter to the RIGHT (not like the common left steering problem). Starting with the jet does also the same. When I configure the stick not to use the rudder or when I set the rudder control to the coolie hat then everything is ok.

NOW:Is this a driver problem or a malfunction from the stick as I cant calibrate an usb device?!?!

Second:
Having my Speed Link Rumble Pad plugged in when I start BF2 leads to a crash into the desktop when starting the game!? This seems a general and common problem with Saitek devices as far as I have read some threads here. It also could be BF2 but I dont remember having this severe and strange behaviour with Speed Link or Logitech products.

So please Saitek (or any other experienced user) if you dont want to loose your old/new customer, please point me into the right direction before I smash the stick and have it RMAed! This would be the last Saitek device I had.

PS:I called already my shop and they will reserve a new device, so a quick help would be very handy so that I save my time and anger to take the ride for nothing again.

Thank you!

EDIT:
22 views and no answer from tech support up to now. I return the device and have an exchange. If the problem will persist after then, Saitek will be on my blacklist again

Last edited by Morphium : 13th August 2005 at 16:40.
Old 14th August 2005, 23:48

Unhappy Me TOO!

I'm having the exact same problem. my stick is brand new out of the box and it does the same thing. I'm getting really annoyed by it.
Old 15th August 2005, 13:47

Mr Tingles,

how nice to know that I am not the only one. Do you encounter this problem in BF2 or in other games also? I do not have any further sim based games, so that I could test it to its full extend.

Now who is to blame: EA or Saitek?! WTF someone please make a statement. (sorry for my wording but this is no fun anymore).My exchange is on its way and I want to know if I can save my time an make a refund. Everyone who is using Thrustmuster has not to cope with such things.
Old 15th August 2005, 14:13
Beta Tester

Question

in first i noticed some strange behavior with BF2 and some other controllers (not only saitek), so i would point in first at EA ... when you ride a helicopter i thought its a "realistic" issue, because of the axis rotation torque from propelled machines ..they will always turn a little bit right.. but thats not a real flightsim tough and the problem is the same in cars, boats etc

back to ..

patched BF2 to the latest version? Updated the controller or SST software etc ?

because i noticed the same prob is with an Logitech wingman and as i updated BF2 the prob was gone!

is that right steering problem also when you take a close look at the Control panel / GameController properties dialog from windows ? if, it might be a defect controller.

k0s

>> Private Homepage <<
>>Company Homepage<<

Company Mail
(¯`*.¸¸.*´¯`*.¸¸.*´¯`*.¸¸.-><-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
Old 16th August 2005, 12:02

Hi Doc,

thank you for your respone (finally someone). I installed only the drivers which came along on the cd. At first I was slightly surprised to see that the driver version on the cd was a newer one than the one which is offered in the Saitek download section. Mine is x.1731 and Saiteks website offers x.1727 (also downloaded the website driver and installed it over the old one)

As already mentioned I only have BF2 to test the device. Other games I have do not accept the z axis because there is no need of it.

The gamecontroller properties doesnt show any misbehaviour to the right on the z axis but even if the device would have a fault, I think this won´t be visible due to the fact that the visible monitoring IMHO is not precise enough. When using the DXTweak2 I see that the controller never returns to its origin when its been turned. When I start the programm, it shows a value of 128. Turning the z axis a bit results that the stick has a center of 132 afterwards. Sometime it even reached 136 and I really don´t know if this is a normal behaviour.

Anyway it also could be a misinterpretation from BF2 of the stick´s values which are being read out falsely. Therefore I asked if EA is to blame for this mess (btw I patched BF2 to 1.2 already). Only strange thing is that my friends nonforce version doesnt have these issues thats why I am going nuts here.

I´ll report back tomorrow as my exchange is on its way and hopefully will work without flaws.

Stay tuned....

Last edited by Morphium : 16th August 2005 at 12:05.
Old 19th August 2005, 12:28
Beta Tester

Red face

well.. afaik is that a normal range and thats the reason why you can define "deadzones" but if you are still unhappy try to exchange the stick. i think it will still have the same behavior.

greets
k0s

btw about precision. theese sticks are using optical inputs to get the values.. everything else is a problem by software .. or MPU latency
at the beginning of testing such a device i had a nice behavior:
with dual processor machines the values where more exact than with a single processor machine. just 4 info

>> Private Homepage <<
>>Company Homepage<<

Company Mail
(¯`*.¸¸.*´¯`*.¸¸.*´¯`*.¸¸.-><-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

Last edited by Doc-Chaos : 19th August 2005 at 12:32.
Old 20th August 2005, 00:43

Angry Same Problem Also!

My rudder keeps shifting to the right and I've tried everything the previous people have mentioned. If I don't figure out this problem soon I'm going to return this joystick.
Old 5th September 2005, 11:12

steers right

I also have the same problem I only bought this for use with bfs noticed right out of the box always went right. when I go to the controler thingy on computer it looks ok till I move controller then shows bar over to right side a little. I should of never wasted my money on this brand I was always a logitech person and never had a problem going back to them. There are no fixes for this controller I have looked for 2 monthes now and nothing I am very upset.
Store I bought it from will not refund my money I am puting up on ebay
Old 26th November 2005, 18:10

yup, me too, same damn problem. not only in bf2.. but in Pacific fighters also..

what is this deadzone thing and why doesnt this joystick just work like its supposed to. I mean cmon, if these joysticks are coming out like this out of the box, is that how it is too for you Saitek people? is that ok with you people? if its not like that, then why is our joysticks like this?
Old 26th November 2005, 22:05

I'm having the god dam same problem too, i just go mine 3 days ago and it was always steering right, so I called up saitek, and he walked me through all these steps to fix it, none of them worked. so now I have to return it to saitek and let them check it out and replace it (cos i bought mine off the internet. ARGGGGHHHH Will I ever get to play???
Old 27th November 2005, 01:57

i guess i have a wasted 70 bucks here, cuz its out of warranty from store AND i bought an X52..and it doesnt seem to have that problem. so now i have an extra crap cyborg evo sitting here..i wonder if saitek will take it and give me credit.. or at least replace it with the non-forcefeedback model, i heard that one doesnt have this problem.
Old 1st December 2005, 10:54

Lightbulb

I have extractly the same issue with Pacific Fighters.
My current driver is: 4.3.3.1727

Relax peeps !!

I have a work around.

Once your game is loaded and you on the screen where you are about to fly, race, drive, shoot, whatever.
Simply twist the rudder full LEFT then full RIGHT then full LEFT again. The rudder is now centered.
Old 3rd December 2005, 21:04

rudder axis :-(((((

after purchasing this joystick i am in need of some help. although after reading most of the threads here i feel as though it is in vain, anyways here goes.

i seem to have a major problem with the rudder axis(r) in that it never centres itself. in my test input page it will not centre no matter what. which obviously effects games like bf2 and pacific fighters :-(( can anyone help???

rich

driver version 4.3.3.1730
software version 4.3.3.2000
Old 4th December 2005, 03:26

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard
i seem to have a major problem with the rudder axis(r) in that it never centres itself. in my test input page it will not centre no matter what. which obviously effects games like bf2 and pacific fighters :-(( can anyone help???

driver version 4.3.3.1730
software version 4.3.3.2000
Just an idea, have you tried the older drivers? 4.3.3.1727 seems to work ok for me, using the 'fix' mentioned in the above post.

Also check out saitek's support page, see question 7.
Old 7th December 2005, 21:04

Smile Fixed this problem

Used a 3rd party prog called DXTweak (Google it for the site), and set my rudder deadzone to 20%, since I couldn't get Saitek's deadzone util to recognize my evo force.

Anyway this seems to have solved the problem... although my rudder is slightly less sensitive to extremely small movements it also stops games picking up accidental slight twisting when moving the x and y axis of the stick.

It's also fixed the main problem of the rudder being offcentered to the right sometimes. Although the rudder is still off in control panel it's not enough to be out of the deadzone.

Hope this helps some of you!